Friday, August 05, 2005

Who hired the mean talker?

There's a new girl at work and while I really like her, she's kind of rough on the phone. This wouldn't be so bad if 95% of our day wasn't spent on the phone. When I was first training her, I enjoyed talking with her, sharing stories about our kids and pets (and I still do-she's really a sweetheart. She's got a great sense of humor. She's very friendly- always bringing in cookies and other fattening goodies for us to enjoy. So, with that being said, it was time to cut her loose. Time for her to start working on her own- taking her own phone calls. With me sitting by her side, she takes her first call. It all started off nice enough. She answered professionally, introducing herself with"how can I help you?" I sit and wait to see what her first call would produce and while I can't hear the person on the other end of the phone, I can see the look of confusion on the new girl's face. Then it happens, the beast is awakened and in the most sarcastic and perhaps unprofessional voice I've ever heard she says "you want to know what?? I don't know if your insurance is going to cover this (guffaw) you have to find that out for yourself, that's not my job" Ouch! I think Seinfeld would say she's a mean talker. I know I'm not living a sitcom but it's like bizarro world or something....
She had to call someone yesterday and when she started speaking to the person on the phone, I guess she couldn't hear them very well because she asked if they had their tv on and if they did could they please turn it down? Now those are some baseballs! Yikes!

2 comments:

Ezili said...

So, maybe one of us needs to be a "mean talker" and tell her to tone it down. Or---maybe she will tone it down herself once she is settled into the new home. We can only hope. :)

Unknown said...

But isn't her but hungry??