Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Pinching pennies

We're trying to save some money and stick to a budget. We've never done well at this. The same applies to our health and recent attempts to make it better. We bought a treadmill when I was 8 months pregnant thinking that when I was on my 3 month maternity leave that I would use it to get my body back into the crappy shape it was in before I got pregnant. The only exercise I get on the treadmill now is when I dust it. So, our attempt to pinch pennies is just as insane. My husband will do better at this than he will about getting on the treadmill. He wants a plan to stick to, just not one that says he can't drink a 6 pack or order a cheese pizza. So, the other day after I've been to the grocery store and discovered all sorts of price chopping products, I go to the sink to do a couple of dishes, when I discover a ziploc bag sitting there full of soapy water. I ask my husband what he's doing with this and he tells me he's cleaning it so we can use it again. Uh, when did things get so bad that we can't spring for a 10 cent plastic bag? I don't want to discourage his effort at saving money, so I don't say anymore and I move the plastic bag out of the way so I can wash some dishes. What I should have done was use the soapy water in the recycled ziploc bag to wash my dishes. Correction, that's what he would have done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What would you put in a used ziploc bag?? That's kind of gross! I can spare some extras if you want! :)

Ezili said...

I sincerely hope he doesn't make you start reusing the disposable diapers!!! ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!