Tuesday, January 03, 2006

When is a cracker ever a chip?

My daughter loves crackers.... She'll only eat ritz wholewheat crackers lately, which if anyone remembers, probably isn't the best thing for her digestive tract. I think her love for these crackers has something to do with the fact that she can feed them to herself, although I've given her several different varieties of foods cut up on her high chair tray for her to self feed. She's stuck on these ritz crackers, though.
The other night my husband made a yummy roasted chicken with veggies and stuffing, all of which I offered to my picky eater. She wanted nothing to do with any of it. So rather than see her go hungry, which means she'll be awake at 1:00 am wanting a bottle, I go for the crackers. I've been dressing up the crackers with cream cheese or soy cheese to try and add some sort of nutritional value to these plain crackers. I know that it sometimes takes several attempts at introducing a food before she'll take to it, so I'm willing to be patient and give her crackers in the meantime.
My husband sees her snubbing his wonderful cooking again and also sees me getting out the crackers, to which he says "Crackers, again? Gees, you might as well be giving her chips" Um, no, I might be giving her CRACKERS, distinctly different than chips. I know he means that I'm just giving her snack food, but I'm not giving her chips, or french fries or even saltines. I'm giving her whole grain motherfucking crackers! And sometimes with soy cheese...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Saltines aren't bad.. they just have a bad name.. they've been around forever, and back then salt didn't have the negative edge that it does now.. And she loves saltines! They're reduced sodium saltines, but she loves them anyway! :)

Ezili said...

A cracker is NEVER a chip -- if it were, I would have to add crackers to my DO NOT EAT OR YOU WILL DIE list of foods along with the chips and doughnuts. She'll move on to something else eventually...she's just in a cracker phase right now and as long as she's not losing weight, why not let her???