Friday, October 21, 2005

One-Armed Robbery

The producers of Extreme Makeover Home Edition are probably firing someone today. They were recently in Wells Maine giving a deserving family a new $500,000 log home (replacing the trailer they were once living in). The show is all about the water works. They pick a family who's overcome some sort of adversity in their lives or is some sort of pillar in their community and they build them a gigantic home. Their circumstances make the viewers cry and feel sorry for them and their situation. I always do, anyway.
The father in this family was a lobsterman who amputated his own arm when it became stuck in the winch on his boat several years ago. Ok, those are hard times. What the show doesn't mention are the hard times that this man "brought on himself," according to his ex-wife. She's talking about the jail time this man served for armed robbery and 2 drunk driving convictions.
How is that worthy of a home make over?? Where's my friggin home makeover?? I've never held a gun to a burger king employee and forced them into a freezer so I could rob them. I've never gotten behind the wheel after having too much to drink.
I know that people can make mistakes and that they can also pay for them, but I just think there are people more deserving out there... Like me. I'm very deserving and obviously quite jealous that they were just 30 minutes away from the nightmare I call home and they didn't even stop in to say hi! Hmpf. I guess the next time I find myself between a rock and a hard place, I'd better have my swiss army knife with me.... oh so bitter....

2 comments:

Ezili said...

Oh---see?? I was right-- you SHOULD get an extreme makeover...you deserve one much more than the one armed robber. Apparently they don't screen all that closely, do they? We could make something up. :)

YouWho said...

Someone should start a blog "Extreme Home Background Check" and research the real story on all these "deserving" new home owners. I bet this guy's background is not all that unique.