Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Why do my dogs want to poop the second we get into a public place? It never fails. The moment we get out of the car invariably they decide it's time to crap. I'm not always the conscientious dog owner I wish I was, though. Sometimes I forget to bring a little plastic baggy to scoop up their poop. This is a major faux paus among dog owners, and rightfully so. There is nothing more irritating then being in a public place and squishing down on dog poo. It also sends the wrong message to non-dog owners who might not want my dog in their public area. So, if I want my dog allowed in these places, I clean up after them.
Usually my dogs are pretty discriminate about where they'll drop their doo. My black lab won't go in the same place twice, which makes it tough when you only live on a 1/4 acre. It forces you to pick up poo more often than you might like (not such a bad thing). My golden has no problem, in fact, she's a bit of an aficionado for the poo flavor (sorry Roslyn, this might not make a bunch of friends for you) but she actually eats crap. Means less mess for me to clean up, though, and those times when I've forgotten my little plastic bag... (just kidding)... It does mean no kisses from Roslyn, though!
One time while waiting to board a ferry in Long Island, Roslyn decides she has to go. Standing in line with other ferry-goers, she just does it, she spins around a few times (classic indication that she has to go) and craps right there in line. My husband had to leave his place on line for a few moments to get a plastic baggy from one of the ferry crew members. He was pretty embarrassed by the situation, I think mostly because he hadn't been prepared. Who knew the poop eating dog won't eat her own poop- I guess everyone has their limits...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

And you wonder why I have no pets?

Ezili said...

Omygod---my least favorite topic!! But even I have learned to do the baggy shuffle for scooping poops---sometimes being responsible sucks! But you're right; no one wants to step in it or even look at it on a sidewalk or other conspicuous place. Poor Roz--she knows no discretion. :(

Unknown said...

Um, I think that's an old wives tale isn't it?? About a dogs mouth being cleaner than ours?? They don't brush their teeth regularly, and they spend most of their time licking their ass.. how can it be cleaner???